Sunday, March 30, 2014

Metformin Horse Pills

Or as I "lovingly" refer to it, Met.

I hate taking those 3 giant horse pills (1500 mg) every night. It's not the effects of the pills anymore, it's just the constant reminder that my body is not cooperating with me and my goals.












Metformin is a drug that people who are diabetic or prediabetic use to moderate their blood sugar levels. Although I do not fit either category, doctors are using the Met to treat PCOS. My pharmacist was concerned when he was filling the script because he thought for sure it was a mistake! Talk about an awkward moment when you have to tell your pharmacist about your early fertility plan...

I started taking Met at night at the end of August 2013. I started at 500mg for a week and then moved up to 1000mg and finally landed at 1500 mg. When first making the switch to 1500mg, my stomach hurt very badly, so I returned to 1000mg for a few days to recover before increasing my dose again.

I read some horror stories about needing to be extra close to the bathroom while taking/adjusting to Metformin but I was actually alright. I made sure to not eat junk food, took the pills at night so I could sleep through most of the discomfort and was alright.

The Met alone did not give me a cycle, so my doctor gave me Provera to begin a cycle to see if that would start ovulation without other fertility drugs. It didn't.

I decided to move onto an Ob/Gyn that specialized in fertility/pregnancy but thanked my doctor for getting me a t/v ultrasound so early which detected the PCOS immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment