Sunday, October 5, 2014

Oops and IVF

After my second miscarriage (chemical pregnancy), we spoke with my doctor and he recommended trying timed intercourse along with the injections one more time. He said that after that, we should move on to ivf because my chances at achieving a full-term pregnancy would drop significantly after 3 or 4 tries on injections alone. The clinic sent over the ivf protocol so that we could get an idea of what it would look like and whoa- that was very freaky to look at all at once!

SO. MANY. MEDICATIONS. So. Many. Needles!
 april ludgate aubrey plaza gif

We were happy to have another shot at injections on our own and went in over the weekend for monitoring. When the nurse called back, she told us to take 150 of the follistim for three days and then come back. 150? I repeated back and forth with her twice. We usually started with 50. She said that was what was in my notes so told me to get started that night. So we did.

I thought maybe this was due to the fact that they found 2 large cysts that day that formed on my left and right ovaries after the miscarriage. 

Oye, 150 was quite the shock to my body. I could only take 2 days of it when on the third day, I only took 112 because I knew something must be wrong with the information and the shots were making me so so bloated. The next morning when I went in for monitoring, I confessed that I decreased my medicine and the doctor confirmed that my intuition was right. Several follicles were growing large, very quickly- not a good thing when you have about 50 follicles in there! (You only want 1-3 winners or the cycle is cancelled!)


The next day, when I had to get monitoring again, my doctor was there and he apologized for the mistake. The 150 was for if I was doing IVF, which I was not doing this round. I was so thankful for his honesty.

We tried to drop the dose of follistim to allow only a few follicles to take off to no avail. It was looking like we would have to cancel the cycle which would likely be painful since I had so many large follicles already. We asked our doctor about transferring the cycle to ivf instead and he agreed, saying that my follicles look beautiful for ivf and then he upped my follistim to 181 for a few days, along with more monitoring. (I went in for blood work and ultrasound almost daily for about a week and a half.)

I had to run from work to a specialty pharmacy before the closed for the weekend to get a bunch more medications more specific to my ivf protocol. Insurance, thankfully, covered most of the cost but I still walked out paying over $200 for the shots.

My follicles responded nicely to the increased medication and by the time they were deemed "ready" my left and right ovaries were so full that they were touching each other. So many follicles which means so many chances for mature eggs!

Is this finally the right procedure for us?



No comments:

Post a Comment